News of Lifeboat Release and Retrieval Systems
Amendments to SOLAS III/1.5 (Resolution MSC.317(89)) have been adopted by the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC89) in May 2011. Therefore, the lifeboat release and the retrieval systems (LRRS) should comply with the LSA Code IV/ 188.8.131.52.4 to 184.108.40.206.6 amended by Res.MSC.320(89). Additionally, the Fall Preventer Devices (FPDs) may be required until such time as the said devices have undergone the necessary design review and performance test, and have been either confirmed compliant with the relevant requirements of the revised LSA Code or replaced with compliant devices. In the case that an administration requires FPDs to be employed, the FPDs shall be approved by an Administration or a Recognized Organization in accordance with IMO circular MSC.1/Circ.1327.
All passenger ships and all cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards.
3. Application date
Lifeboat On-load release mechanisms not complying with paragraphs 220.127.116.11.4 to 18.104.22.168.6 of the LSA Code are to be replaced or modified not later than the first scheduled dry-docking after 1 July 2014, but not later than 1 July 2019.
4. Information/Notice for LRRS
5. Flag States Information/Notice for FPDs
6. Approval of FPDs
The Society carries out approval service of FPDs in accordance with MSC.1/1327 and an approval certificate will be issued, issued upon completion of approval service.
In case you have a plan to provide FPDs, please contact the life boat or LRRS manufacturer for the compatibility with life boat/davit.
7. Related information
(1) ClassNK Technical Information
- TEC-0858 Introduction of the outcomes of MSC89
- TEC-0966 Survey on lifeboat on-load release mechanisms (Lifeboat Release and Retrieval Systems: LRRSs)
- TEC-0982 Survey on lifeboat on-load release mechanisms (Lifeboat Release and Retrieval Systems: LRRSs) for ships flying Bahamian flag
(2) Related requirement
- Amendments to SOLAS III/1.5 (Resolution MSC.317(89))
- Amendments to the LSA Code IV/22.214.171.124 (Resolution MSC.320)
- Recommendation on testing of life-saving appliances (Resolution MSC.321)
- Guidelines for the fitting and use of Fall Prevebter Devices (FPDs) (MSC.1/Circ.1327)
- Guidelines for evaluation and replacement of Lifeboat release and retrieval systems (MSC.1/Circ.1392)
- MSC circular on Early application of new SOLAS regulation III/1.5 (MSC.1/Circ.1393)
CLARIFICATION OF THE TERM "FIRST SCHEDULED DRY-DOCKING" AS CONTAINED IN SOLAS REGULATION III/1.5(MSC.1/Circ.1445)