Ballast Water Management Convention
ClassNK Actions for Ballast Water Management Convention
The IMO developed and adopted “The International Convention for The Control and Management of Ships Ballast Water Ballast Water and Sediments, 2004” (Ballast Water Management Convention) with the aim of protecting the marine environment from the transfer of harmful aquatic organisms in ballast water carried by ships.
According to IMO estimates, ships carry some 3 billion tons to 5 billion tons of ballast water globally each year.
Finland ratified the Convention on 8 September 2016 and the total number of contracting States to the BWM Convention has reached 52, representing 35.14% of the world merchant shipping tonnage, which satisfies the condition of entry into force threshold of 30 States, representing 35% of the world merchant shipping tonnage. The BWM Convention will enter into force on 8 September 2017.
On the 28th session of the IMO Assembly (A28) which was held from 25 November to 4 December 2013, as a result of the discussion at A28 about relaxation of installation schedule for ballast water performance standard, the revised schedule approved at the 65th session of the Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC65) was adopted as Assembly resolution.
Upon the enforcement of the convention, the resolution will be applied and the Ballast water performance standard is required in accordance with the resolution.
The resolution and the revised application schedule can be found in the following documents and links.
Approval (G8 and G9) list of Ballast Water Management System and the ratification status of the Convention can be found in the following documents and links:
- List of approved Ballast Water Treatment System
- Ratification status of Ballast Water Management Convention
The latest information of the approval of Alternative Management System by USCG can be found in the HOMEPORT:Item, Environmental > Ballast Water Management Program > Alternate Management Systems (AMS) .
Information of Ballast Water Management Convention
Guidelines G1-G14 of Ballast Water Management Convention
- GUIDELINES FOR SEDIMENT RECEPTION FACILITIES (G1)
- GUIDELINES FOR BALLAST WATER SAMPLING (G2)
- GUIDELINES FOR BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT EQUIVALENT COMPLIANCE (G3)
- GUIDELINES FOR BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT OF BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT PLANS (G4)
- GUIDELINES FOR BALLAST WATER RECEPTION FACILITIES (G5)
- GUIDELINES FOR BALLAST WATER EXCHANGE (G6)
- GUIDELINES FOR RISK ASSESSMENT UNDER REGULATION A-4 OF THE BWM CONVENTION (G7)
- GUIDELINES FOR APPROVAL OF BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (G8)
- PROCEDURE FOR APPROVAL OF BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS THAT MAKE USE OF ACTIVE SUBSTANCES (G9)
- GUIDELINES FOR APPROVAL AND OVERSIGHT OF PROTOTYPE BALLAST WATER TREATMENT TECHNOLOGY PROGRAMMES (G10)
- GUIDELINES FOR BALLAST WATER EXCHANGE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS (G11)
- 2012 GUIDELINES ON DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION TO FACILITATE SEDIMENT CONTROL ON SHIPS (G12)
- GUIDELINES FOR ADDITIONAL MEASURES REGARDING BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT INCLUDING EMERGENCY SITUATIONS (G13)
- GUIDELINES ON DESIGNATION OF AREAS FOR BALLAST WATER EXCHANGE (G14)