SOLAS Chapter V/19 Paragraphs 2.1.4, 2.10 and 2.11 relating to the Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) are newly added.
Carriage requirements of ECDIS and back-up arrangement are phased in from 1 July 2012. This ECDIS News intends to provide information regarding the requirements related to the implementation of ECDIS.
- IHO has announced a revision of IHO standards and the revision is effective from 1 September 2017. Please refer to TEC-1101 and TEC-1106. And also, please refer to the approved ECDIS software update list from below link.
List of ECDIS software updates
1. Applicable ships
The carriage requirements shall apply to the following ships engaged on international voyages:
- (1) Passenger ships of 500 GT and upwards;
- (2) Tanker* of 3,000 GT and upwards; and
- (3) New building cargo ships other than tanker of 3,000 GT and upward, and existing cargo ships other than tanker of 10,000 GT and upward.
* “Tanker” means a cargo ship constructed or adapted for the carriage in bulk of liquid cargoes of a flammable nature.
2. Applicable due date
The due date for above ships is as follows:
Definition of “constructed” is as per the paragraph 1 of SOLAS Chapter V/2.
- (i) Passenger ship constructed on or after 1 July 2012, not later than the initial safety equipment survey.
- (ii) Passenger ship constructed before 1 July 2012, not later than the first safety equipment survey on or after 1 July 2014.
- (i) Tanker constructed on or after 1 July 2012, not later than the initial safety equipment survey.
- (ii) Tanker constructed before 1 July 2012, not later than the first safety equipment survey on or after 1 July 2015.
Cargo ship other than tanker
- (i) Cargo ship, of 10,000 GT and upwards constructed on or after 1 July 2013, not later than the initial safety equipment survey.
- (ii) Cargo ship, of 3,000 GT and upward but less than 10,000 GT constructed on or after 1 July 2014, not later than the initial safety equipment survey.
- (iii) Cargo ship, of 50,000 GT and upward constructed before 1 July 2013, not later than the first safety equipment survey on or after 1 July 2016.
- (iv) Cargo ship, of 20,000 GT and upward but less than 50,000 GT constructed before 1 July 2013, not later than the first safety equipment survey on or after 1 July 2017.
- (v) Cargo ship, of 10,000 GT and upward but less than 20,000 GT constructed before 1 July 2013, not later than the first safety equipment survey on or after 1 July 2018.
- (4) Ship constructed under the conditions of above (1) (ii), (2) (ii), (3) (iii), (iv) and (v), but delivered after the applicable due date, not later than the initial safety equipment survey.
3. Type approval of ECDIS
- (1) Type of ECDIS shall be approved by the Administration or Organizations approved by the Administration.
ECDIS shall comply with the requirements of IMO performance standards.
- (i) ECDIS installed on or after 1 Jan. 2009 shall comply with the IMO resolution MSC. 232(82).
- (ii) ECDIS installed before 1 Jan. 2009 shall be complied with the A.817(19), MSC.64(67) annex 5 and MSC.86(70) annex 4, and provided IHO standard software and be able to display all information of latest ENC.
- (ii) Latest IEC 61174 Test standards for ECDIS shall be applied.
- (iii) ECDIS installed after 1 September 2017 shall comply with the IMO resolution MSC. 232(82) and shall have type-approval which IEC 61174 Edition 4.0 is applied.
4. Electronic Navigation Charts (ENC)
ECDIS is acceptable as meeting the chart carriage requirements and shall be complied with carriage requirements of ENC for navigation.
When ship intends to omit provisions for paper charts, it should be satisfied with additional requirements.
5. Guidance for ECDIS installation
6. ECDIS Training
- (1) In the STCW 2010 amendment and related circulars, Master and Deck Officers on board the ship equipped ECDIS are required to complete Generic Training (comply with IMO Training Course (IMO Model Course 1.27)) by 1st January 2017, as a condition to obtain or renew their certificates of competency.
- (2) It has been clarified by STCW.7/Circ.24 that the seafarers are not required to provide documentation of Generic and Type-specific Training in ECDIS. On the other hand, the seafarers are required to be familiarized with the ECDIS equipment installed on board. To provide a certificate and/or record certified the completion of the training is recommended as a countermeasure against PSC comments.
7. Plan approval for ECDIS installation
For ECDIS already installed on board the ship and newly installed for existing ships before applicable due date, the drawings of installation are not necessary to be submitted for approval. However, please apply for verification survey on the installation.
8. Survey for ECDIS
The following should be ensured or verified during the survey:
- (1) Copy of type approval certificate and performance standards applied;
- (2) Connection to emergency source of electrical power, gyro compass, speed log and GPS receiver;
- (3) Display of latest ENC on the ECDIS and possession of ENC fully provided for intended voyages;
- (4) Back-up arrangement complied with the requirement; and
- (5) When navigation charts are supplied as a backup, the charts should be updated
9. Other information
The IMO documentations,
- (2) Flag State information
|Flag state||Circular No.||Title||Download||Issue date|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Circular 2012-006 (Rev 1)||ECDIS and Carriage of Electronic Publications||Original||Dec. 2012|
|Information Notice 2017-004||ECDIS updates required for the new IHO standards||Original||Aug. 2017|
|Australia||Marine Notice 7/2017||Guidance on ECDIS for ships calling at Australian ports||Original||May 2017|
|---||ECDIS FAQ: Refer to website of AMSA.||---||---|
|Bahamas||Bulletin No.51 Rev.7||ECDIS, Nautical Charts and Publications||Original||9 Feb. 2016|
|Bulletin No.138 Rev.2||ECDIS Training Requirements||Original||16 Nov. 2015|
|Bermuda||Shipping Notice 2011-010||Introduction of BNWAS and ECDIS||Original||26 Jan. 2011|
|Cayman Islands||Shipping Notice 03/2015 Rev.1||ECDIS on Cayman Islands Ships and Yachts||Original||20 Aug. 2015|
|Guidance Note 07/2017 (Rev.1.0)||ECDIS AND IHO PRESENTATION STANDARD IHO S-52||Original||20 Sept. 2017|
|Cook Islands||Circular 14/2010||Nautical Charts and Publications - Carriage Requirements||Original||21 Jan. 2010|
|Cyprus||Circular No. 29/2012||STCW 78, as Amended- Issue of Seafarer’s Identification and Sea Service Record Books and Endorsements Attesting the Recognition of Non Cyprus Certificate (ECDIS Training)||Original||28 June 2012|
|Circular No. 17/2011||Use of Nautical Publications in a Digital Format||Original||6 May 2011|
|Dominica||CD-PL 02-15 Rev01||Nautical Chart and Publication Carriage and ECDIS Requirements||Original||20 July 2015|
|Greece||Circular No. 4339.20/03/11||Installation and Operation of ECDIS on board Greek Vessels||Original||16 Nov. 2011|
|Hong Kong||No.13/2017||Guidance for Good Practice on Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)||Original||5 July 2017|
|No.2/2011||Maintenance of ECDIS Software||Original||3 Jan. 2011|
|No.28/2009||Application for the issue of HK Licenses and Endorsements under STCW 1978 as amended||Original||23 Oct. 2009|
|No.SD/S 800/1||Mandatory Carriage and Training Requirements for ECDIS||Original||14 Aug. 2012|
|India||NT/Exam Circular NO.04 of 2017||Specific training requirements for ECDIS – reg.||Original||14 Dec 2017|
|Ireland||Marine Notice No.23 of 2012||Important Safety Notice about the reliable operation of ECDIS||Original||3 May 2012|
|Isle of Man||MSN 026||Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS)||Original||1 Aug. 2018|
|Safety of Navigation - Nautical Charts, Publications and Notices to Mariners||Original||June 2012|
|Marine Notice ADM-007
|List of Certificates and Documents Required to be Carried Onboard Ships||Original||June 2018|
|Marine Advisory: 10/2017||ECDIS Electronic Chart Display IHO Standards Updates||Original||23 Oct. 2017|
|Luxembourg||Circular CAM 09/2011||Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS)||Original||19 Dec. 2011|
|Marshall Islands||Marine Guideline No. 7-41-1 Rev. 11/12||Safety of Navigation, ECDIS, Navigation Chart Correction and Use, Speed Input to ARPA Equipped Radars and Traffic Separation Lanes.||Original||Nov. 2012|
|Marine Notice No.7-041-6 Rev. Dec/2016||Nautical Chart and Publication Carriage and ECDIS Requirements||Original||Dec. 2016|
|Marine Notice No.1-000-3 Rev. Jan/2019||Requirements on Carriage of Publications on board ships||Original||Jan 2019|
|Netherlands||---||ECDIS Information: Refer to website of the Administration.||---||---|
|New Zealand||Marine Guidance Notice Issue 08||Use of Electronic Charts, ECDIS and ENCS in New Zealand||Original||July 2009|
|Palau||Marine Notice 192.1||Nautical Charts And Publications Carriage And Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) Requirements||Original||Jan. 2019|
|Panama||Merchant Marine Circular MMC-218||Electronic Charts and Publications in regards to the Carriage Requirements and Crew Training on board Panama Flagged vessels.||Original||May 2015|
|Singapore||Shipping Circular No.25 of 2015||Guidance for Good Practice for Ships using ECDIS & Electronic Nautical Publications||Original||14 Oct. 2015|
|Shipping Circular No.6 of 2012||2012 List of Certificates, Documents and Publications required to be carried on board Singapore Flag Ships||Original||20 Feb. 2012|
|Sri Lanka||MSN 03/2016||Carriage and use of ECDIS||Original||16 Feb. 2016|
|St. Vincent and the Grenadines||Circular N° SOL 007 Rev. 5||Electronic Chart Display and Information and Back-up Arrangements||Original||26 Sep. 2017|
|Turkey||80368960-105.02.01 -E.68732||ECDIS Updates||Orignal||24 Aug. 2017|
|Tuvalu||MARINE CIRCULAR MC-6/2017/1||IMO ADVICE TO PORT STATES ON REQUIRED UPDATES OF ECDIS||Orignal||10/2017|
|United Kingdom||Marine Information Note MIN 503 (M)||Training for ECDIS as Primary Means of Navigation||Original||Apr. 2015|
|U. S. A. (U.S.C.G.)||MSIB Number: 009-17||Electronic Chart Display Information Systems Updates to Meet International Hydrographic Organization Standards||Original||25 Aug. 2017|
ClassNK Technical Information
TEC-0912, TEC-1067, TEC-1101, TEC-1106, TEC-1129
For any inquiries about the above, please contact:
Material and Equipment Department, Administration Center, Head Office
Address: 3-3 Kioi-Cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0094, JAPAN